Thursday 2 February 2012

Geo Duck



 
product-reviews.net





snipsly.com

 
online.wsj.com

I'm in awe of the Geo duck , pronounced Gooey Duck for  many things.  
The Gooey ducks are the largest burrowing saltwater clams in the world. They are found in large numbers in the Washington  State ,US and also in British Columbia in Canada. They are also known as King clams.
They are farmed and harvested both in Washington  and British Columbia. Their meat is pricey  and the people in  China, Japan and South Korea love it and  is a delicacy. The Japanese love their Geo duck Sushi and Sashimi.  They are priced at $30 - $40 a pound (453gm) .
The  fully grown adult Geo duck  weighs between 1 to 3 pounds, use their feet to dig and can live for almost a hundred years. Although the one on record lived for 163 years  and some specimens have weighed 10 to 14 pounds.
This giant clam  is so large that when fully grown  they cannot withdraw into their shell. They spend almost their entire adult life stuck in the mud. It buries itself 2 to 3 ft  under the mud.
Although the gooey duck can be breaded, fried and sauted , some of the best chefs in the world agree on their delicate texture and say it is best when they are  eaten raw with a touch of olive oil or wasabi.
I'll try when I'm at the right place, I like to eat my raw sea food only from reputed eateries. I'll update the blog with my take on my 'geo duck' experience. In  the meanwhile write a comment with your gooey duck experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment