Thursday 15 December 2011

Diamond Dust

I'm in awe of this phenomenon which occurs in places with extremely frigid temperatures; like the antarctic and the arctic. I've never had the fortune to walk through this stunningly super sparkly phenomenon,  my vivid imaginations backed with images and videos of diamond dust takes me to the paradise  where I walk through the diamond dust, turn back only to see my  silhouette far behind me in the tunnel of diamond dust.
 Yes. It's true.

Here's an excerpt from cires.colarado.edu  with a professional explanation  :
" Diamond dust is defined in the AMS glossary as, "small ice crystals falling from an apparently cloudless sky, (often, but not always, at night)".   .....  It has been shown that diamond dust can be pushed out of the way while being suspended in air, and there are several stories of people walking though the ice crystals, turning around and seeing a tunnel in the shape of an outline of their body."



Image from cires.colorado.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment