Tuesday 17 January 2012

Fiddleheads

  Image from cbc.ca


fiddleheadheaven.com


The first time I spotted these green spirally things at the Chinese Market more than a decade ago I  thought they were weird shrimp that looked green, it also reminded me of a coiled millipede except the color. However, I was in awe when I learned more about this edible vegetable which in fact is an unfurled frond of the ostrich fern. They say fiddleheads are loaded with antioxidants, omega 3 & 6, iron, niacin and fiber.  The unique earthy taste of the fiddlehead  can be complimented with just a little bit  of butter, salt and pepper. YUM. 
I was at a music school the other day and I could see the resemblance  of the fiddlehead to the curled ornamentation on the fiddle/violin. 
Fiddleheads are enjoyed by people across the globe from India, China, Australia, USA, Canada and some European countries.







No comments:

Post a Comment