Thursday 12 January 2012

Oleander and the Common Crow Larvae

Oleanders are common  in South  Asia, I have fond memories of these sweet-scented flowers. I have spent a lot of time looking at the pink and white Oleander blooms and playing around the plant  when I was a little girl. Little did I know about the toxicity of this plant. The leathery leaves of this plant made a good toy for me, I would put two leaves of the same size, face down,  one on top of the other,  hold them on either ends and pull on them with both my hands moving in and out (like a windshield wiper) to hear a kind of clapping-sound. It amused me as it did many other kids that played with this very toxic leaf. The sweet scent of the blooms were very hypnotic. I loved the scent. I'm glad I was not hurt.
Every part of this plant is extremely poisonous to humans and many animals.Even the dried up stems and branches are harmful to humans.
I'm in awe of the larvae of the common crow butterfly that has the capacity to modify and retain the toxins. The presence of these toxins in the larvae makes  it unpalatable to the birds and other  predators. How does a little caterpillar that has hatched from a tiny egg know such complicated tactics, how does it's body act as a complicated chemistry lab.  I think about the little caterpillar's instincts and it's ability to tolerate the toxins and  the way it uses the modified toxins  it to it's advantage and I'm in awe.
6007044659_6b3d8af175_z.jpg
www.flickr.com 




http://www.whatsthatbug.com
starescue.org   

No comments:

Post a Comment